Sunday, December 12, 2010

Chestnut Bread

With Christmas round the corner, I've been craving for chestnuts and the smell of them roasting on an open fire. Unfortunately, the only fire I can light here is a gas stove and so to feed my cravings, I've decided to devour them in as many ways as possible.


This is a simple recipe using bread flour, chestnuts, instant yeast, milk, water, butter, sugar and salt. Simply mix and knead, let it rise for an hour, knead again, rest for another hour and bake it for 35 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius. I rehydrated dried chestnuts for this recipe for a few reasons. Since they come with the shell removed, it saves a lot of time, and the dried form has a smoky and nuttier taste, which is the next best thing to fire-roasted chestnuts.


No comments:

Post a Comment